Louise Bourgeois: Memory And Architecture

Category: Books,Arts & Photography,Sculpture

Louise Bourgeois: Memory And Architecture Details

From Library Journal Bourgeois (b. 1911) is a leading American sculptor best known for her definition and exploration of female/male relationships in wood, marble, and multimedia. Many of the works involve figures concurrently seen as an abstractly built environment, like the famous "The Blind Leading the Blind." This exhibition catalog from the Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofia in Madrid records a total of 86 pieces from her "Femme Maison" series, the later "cells," the immediately recognizable spiders, and the highly successful recent environmental works. Bourgeois's symbolism is derived from painful autobiographical memories often related through the structures of home, work, and hallways. The lavish, full-page illustrations and color plates are bolstered by seven essays on her creative power. Three chapters "There's No Place Like Home," "The Architecture of Trauma," and "Passages Impliqu s" are particularly relevant to untangling the Bourgeois world. Recommended as a fine, complete study of the artist with excellent references. For general art collections with an interest in contemporary art as well as feminist collections. Mary Hamel-Schwulst, formerly with Towson Univ., MD Copyright 2001 Reed Business Information, Inc. Read more Review …lavish, full-page illustrations and color plates are bolstered by seven essays on her creative power…Recommended as a fine, complete study… -- Library Journal, March 1, 2001 - Mary Hamel-Schwulst Read more

Reviews

The book is rare because it is not one that an art lover wouldreadily part with.There are a generous number of pictures - mostly sculptures andinstallations, including a sampling of her exceptional organic pieces.The photography is clear and detailed.I usually don't read text in an art book, but this has well-writtenbiography including early photos of the artist."When I was born, they abandoned me flat. I was born onChristmas day; my mother was very apologetic and thedoctor said: "Madame Bourgeois, really you are ruining myfestivity." I mean who is born on Christmas day? I was a painin the ass when I was born. To all these people, they hadtheir oyster and champagne and there I came.""When I was born my father and my mother were fightinglike cats and dogs. And the country was preparingfor war, and my father who wanted a son got me, and mysister had just died. Please let me breathe."Memory and Architecture is not one of those flimsy catalogs, it issubstantial, and put together with care.

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel